Glover Teixeira’s misson: To defeat Jon “Bones” Jones, who has never had a true blemish on his record and to end his consecutive title defenses. Easy, right? Well, maybe not so easy, but Teixeira is one of the few that could. Here’s why.
5. Different type of fighter | Teixeira isn’t your average fighter. He was taken under Chuck Liddell‘s tutelage to train and fight and received the best training one could under the former 205 champion. He knows what it takes and how hard to work to be a champion, learning under the “Iceman” himself. Can’t ask for better experience, or a better partner than that.
4. Strong | Jon Jones requested random drug testing to be set in place between him and Teixeira, as he said, “I’ve heard about Teixeira’s strength and how strong he is. I have no reason to believe Glover would use performance enhancing drugs, but just want to make sure.” Teixeira has never tested positive for anything, which leads me to believe one thing — he’s just naturally strong, which could help him against the younger Jones.
3. Blueprint | The blueprint to beat Jon Jones was already made; Alexander Gustafsson showed the champ can be beaten and took the fight right to Jones. If Teixeira can do the same and keep the pressure on Jones, ‘Bones’ might get flustered. Look for this to be a factor in the later rounds.
2. Power | We know Teixeira has the power to end the fight with one punch. Even though he’s well rounded, Teixeira has heavy hands and if he could land one good punch, that could lead to a few followups. He’ll have more than a punchers chance in this one.
1. No stranger | Teixeira is a veteran and has been waiting a long time to get his crack at the champ. He won’t be intimidated or flustered by the lights and limelight. Without needing to get acclimated to the atmosphere, pressure and surroundings, he’ll give Jones all the trouble he needs.
You might also like:
MMA Update: Werdum to face Velasquez, UFC 172, more
UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira predictions
MMA Update: Drug testing, Fight Night and UFC 172
For the ultimate in MMA fighting, check out The Best of the UFC on FilmOn:
Follow TV Mix on Twitter: @tvmixusa
Contact TV Mix: email@example.com